Thursday, January 26, 2012

What Makes a Hero

What makes a hero?

So we've all read them…the books that make us sigh for the guy. The sigh-guy books. The man with the buff bod, the dynamite dialogue, the sexy smile. One of my very first sigh-guys was Ruark Beauchamp in Kathleen Woodiwiss's Shana. I must have been about fifteen when I first met Ruark and I haven't forgotten him. It was his deep down goodness with a twinkle of mischief that most appealed to me. I'm now…well I'm a little older than fifteen, but I still remember him vividly.


Since then there have been a few others. Dallas Beaudine from Susan Elizabeth Phillip's Fancy Pants for one. His goodness was hidden a little deeper, but he had a soft spot for dogs that he didn't quite like to admit, and who can resist that?

Harry Dresden! Oh man, I've got it bad for Jim Butcher's rogue P.I. wizard. He's all angsty and flawed and vulnerable. Irresistible, in my book.

Oh oh oh!! Aragorn. Seriously. Strider from J.R.R. Tolkein's Lord of the Rings. I've loved him since I was ten because…well…there are so many reasons to love him it's not even worth counting the ways. But when Peter Jackson had the insanely clever idea of casting Vigo Mortenson as the ranger who would become king….ahhhh genius.



Janet Evanovich's Joseph Morelli! It's been nearly twenty years since I first read One For the Money. But I've never forgotten it. In fact, I was so enamored with the humor, the action, and the characters that I immediately wanted to write something similar. And, in 2005 the first book in my Chrissy McMullen series was published by Random House. Unzipped is the story of a crazy L.A. psychologist who…as Mystery Scene says, "…is back to prove that boobs, brass, and brains make for one heck of a good time." And most of that good time involved one of my personal favorite sigh-guys, Lieutenant Jack Rivera. He's all dark and dirty and clever and cocky. Uncorked, my 7th Chrissy McMullen novel is just now available online and I'm happy to say that, for me at least, Rivera is just as sigh worthy and irritating as always.

So what about you? What makes a hero in your mind?

To celebrate the release of Uncorked, I'd like to give away an Amazon gift card to one much appreciated commenter.

Lois Greiman
Visit www.loisgreiman.com just for the fun of it.


Uncorked-7th Chrissy McMullen mystery-for sale online now!!
Highland Jewel, Highland Wolf
Beloved Beast, and Unfortunate
now available at amazon.com!
Follow me on Twitter
Facebook: lois.greiman
Facebook: chrissymcmullenmysteries
(Please consider the environment before printing.)

9 comments:

  1. A hero, saves the day, unassuminging goes on his way and would probably save the day again if it needs to be done. Probably could tell a good joke or two also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, I love that. Especially the joke part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. <>

    The choice was interesting. Vigo was too hot for words in the LOTR movies but I have seen him in other things and he has left me stone cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of movies, I am so disappointed in the men they have playing Joseph Morelli and Ranger in the movie of Janet Evanovich's One For the Money. I don't know who I would have chosen instead but not those two guys.

    Sheila G.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sigh-worthy heroes. I wasn't fond of Shanna, but I loved Ruark.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time I see these men on the book covers and "heroes" from the movies ... they are so worth the deep sigh
    :-))

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do we feel about Daniel Craig as 007? He's a thinker for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, the blue eyes get me from the start and then he opens his mouth and speaks.... ahhhhhh sigh-- nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Daniel Craig as Bond. Well period!

    ReplyDelete