Thursday, July 28, 2022

A Rosa for Russell

 


Pamela Ackerson’s

 

A Rosa for Russell

 

Several days later, Rosa was treating a prisoner placed next to Russell’s cot the night before. The boy didn’t say a word. He watched Rosa attend to his injuries.

Russell asked, “How’s he doing?”

Rosa jumped. “I thought you were asleep.”

“I was but I don’t ─I haven’t slept well lately.”

“Understandable.”

Russell whispered, “He said they tortured him.”

She clenched her jaw. The boy’s injuries weren’t consistent with normal wounds. The medical supplies were practically nonexistent. Torturing the soldiers was absolutely unnecessary.

It just made her madder than a mule chewing on bumblebees.

“You bring in your own medicinal herbs, don’t you?”

She nodded. If she hadn’t known how to use medicinal herbs, it would’ve been much worse. The prisoners were living in despicable conditions.

“It’s disheartening,” Rosa’s voice broke.

“What’s disheartening, my sweet Rosa?”

Rosa shuddered. “Why torture them? Can you imagine how desolate and alone these prisoners feel? I couldn’t handle the depression, and I’m not even a captive. I can’t fathom how some of them have survived.”

Sarcasm with a drip of amusement rang in his voice. “Actually, yes, I can imagine how they feel.”

She sucked in a quick breath. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t you worry your generous heart. We’ll be fine.” Russell looked over to the patient next to him. “Won’t we, Rogers?”

The boy nodded.

“Okay, Russell. Now you’re awake, let me look at your wound.”

He rolled to his side so she could get a better look.

“He was with my company.”

“Who was?”

“Rogers.”

She bit her lip.

Russell grimaced. “He helped me when I needed it most.”

Rosa nodded as she checked him.

“My brother…” His voice croaked.

She grabbed supplies and waited for him to continue.

“My brother was right next to me when we both were gut-shot. They got him in the face, too.”

She watched Russell’s chest rapidly quiver up and down. She put her hand on his racing heart.

“Wasn’t much left of his head. I put him out of his misery.”

Rosa tears crawled slowly down her cheek. A gut wound was the most excruciatingly painful way to die. But on top of a head wound…

Russell rasped. “My hand shook so bad, I would’ve missed if I used my pistol. The boy handed me his knife so I could send my Kev to the Lord.”

Rosa sucked in a breath.

“It’s how Rogers got the bullet. He put himself in harm’s way so my brother wouldn’t suffer.”

“Oh, Russell.”

He whispered, “I had to kill my own brother. I’m a murderer.”

She looked toward the boy who was vehemently shaking his head. “He did what he needed to do. I don’t know if I could’ve done it.”

Russell’s voice was broken. “My brother. He was a handsome man and well-liked. He loved to joke and be friends with everyone.”

Rosa massaged his forehead. “Hush. You’re getting yourself upset.”

“He saw the Rebs and jumped in front of me to take the bullets.”

“Shh…you’re here now. It’s over.”

“Oh, lass, it’s just beginning. I have a bigger fight here.”

“I’m sorry. I truly am.”

“Not your fault. You’re doing what you can. You’re saving a lot of Union soldiers.”

She grunted. “Yes, to send them back to the pens.”

“But they’re alive.”

 ****

Purchase  A Rosa for Russell 

Short Story—Sweet and Wholesome Historical Romance

 Pam's Amazon Page

PamelaAckerson.net

@PamAckerson

Pam@PamelaAckerson.com

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment