Monday, December 26, 2022

The World of Formatting Books

 

The World of Formatting Books

 

Many self-published authors don’t hire a formatting company or professional. Unfortunately, it’s obvious. Yes, even obvious to readers who know nothing about publishing.

Why, you ask? Because they’re not following format protocol. There’s nothing wrong with doing something different, but there’s a formula publishers use, and there are reasons, very important reasons why they do it the way they do.

It sells more books.

That’s correct. Proper formatting will sell more books. If it isn’t formatted correctly, it will appear odd to the reader, and they’ll subconsciously feel there’s something off about the book.

Proper formatting gives the reader a positive reading experience with no distractions.

 

So, how is it obvious?

I’m going to name a couple.

The paragraphs aren’t justified.

The line spacing isn’t at 1.15.

Font sizes are off.

The indentation isn’t set at the proper setting. Digital printing is very different now than it was twenty years ago.

There is no difference between hard breaks and soft breaks.

First paragraphs in chapters, or break paragraphs are indented.

Chapter headings aren’t centered properly.

 

Now the first thing you’re most likely going to say is but, when I queried a publisher they told me double-spaced, times new roman…etc.

Yes. That’s correct.

There are several reasons why. One of the biggest reasons is they can read and take notes on your submission without issues. It’s to their benefit and yours for them to have easier access to an unfinished manuscript.

Personally, I set up my formatting before I start writing. My preference is Garamond 11.5. However, it can be any font you prefer that is reader friendly.

Once the font, size, indentation, and justification are set. I leave it alone and write away.

There’s no need to finish or completely adjust the formatting until the book is finished with edits.

If there’s a request for the first 30 pages, I copy and paste those pages onto a new file and format per their preference.

With books that are self-published, once the editor is done with my work, the formatting is adjusted for eBook and then print.

It’s different for each one. It’s also different for individual publishing platforms. (FYI-Amazon makes it easy peasy.)

Look at how the big publishing houses format their books and mimic the style. They know how to sell books. They’ve had hundreds of years of experience.

You’ll be very happy with the outcome.

 

Want a jump on marketing and advertising?

 

This book’s for you. My whole point of writing it is to help all authors. I’ve had many established authors, aspiring authors, and WIP authors ask me a multitude of questions and I was more than happy to help. (WIP-work in progress) I took the most commonly asked questions and solutions and put them in a nifty, absolutely priceless book.

What you’ll find in Be More Successful with Marketing and AdvertiZING:

 

Social Media Marketing and AdvertiZING for Books or Any Business

Becoming a Bestseller

Saying NO and Being the Bad Guy

How to Write Incredible Click Enticing Promotions

Promoting Your Book With or Without a Publisher

How Much is That Advertisement in the Window?

Self-publishing Doesn’t Have to be a Disaster

How to Make Your Website Awesome

Taking the Plunge into Publishing Audio Books

How to Make More Sales at Book Signings

The Uniform of Success

 

Purchase Be More Successful with Marketing and AdvertiZING at your favorite bookstore or on Amazon.

E-Book $4.99

Paperback $9.99

 


 

 

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

You can find me:

PamelaAckerson.net

PamAckerson@AdCMagazine.com

Twitter.com/PamAckerson

Facebook.com/pam.ackerson.7

Amazon.com/Pamela-Ackerson/e/B00QY1ARI4

 


Wondering what my qualifications are? Don't want to get any advice from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about? I understand! There are too many people out there giving bad advice. 

 

The first thing I'm going to tell you is that the book industry is constantly changing and even the "experts" have to keep their ears to the ground to stay in the game!

Okay, so...Here goes.

I'm President of Marketing and Advertising for AdC Magazine. Affaire de Coeur Book Review Magazine has been in business since 1980. No small potatoes there! We've managed to survive all the ups and downs in the industry. www.adcmagazine.com

I've been a published author since 1972. Yup, you read that right. My 10th grade high school teacher entered my sci-fi short story in the Science Fiction Reader's Digest Contest and I took first place. I continued to write and publish short stories for several years after that. 

A short break--which felt like forever--in 1996 I finished my first novel. I was picked up by a publisher two years later and I haven't stopped since.

No comments:

Post a Comment